HGH Injections for Weight Loss: Do They Work?
Obesity has long been a problem in the US. Now, with more people working from home, gyms staying closed, and stress eating, weight gain is a significant concern. As stress levels climb, cortisol production increases, interfering with growth hormone levels. While the use of HGH injections for weight loss is not an authorized treatment, it may help those adults who have low growth hormone (GH) levels shed those excess pounds.
In our busy lives, we tend to overlook health issues and symptoms, brushing them aside as we go from work to home and back again. Now, fatigue, weight gain, forgetfulness, joint pains, low libido, and many of the multiple other signs of growth hormone deficiency (GHD) are becoming more noticeable.
Weight gain is a significant problem for adults with GHD. As we will discuss in the next section, growth hormone plays a leading role in metabolism. That is why many people experience tremendous results using human growth hormone injections for weight loss along with the other benefits of the treatment.
Further down this page, we will discuss whether doctors prescribe HGH injections for fat loss, as well as what to expect from the results.
Keep reading to learn:
- The impact of growth hormone on weight and metabolism
- How fast HGH injections can help you lose weight
- How to get the best results from HGH injections
Adults diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency will find that using HGH injections for weight loss is one of the many benefits of treatment.
What Impact Does HGH Have on Metabolism and Weight?
The connection between HGH injections and weight loss begins with metabolism. Growth hormone is a direct stimulator of metabolic actions on protein, lipids, and carbohydrates. When GH levels decline, as they do with age, the body does not metabolize food as efficiently as it did in earlier years. Instead, food that would normally turn to usable energy becomes stored away as excess fat.
That is one reason why people gain weight as they age. The other aspect of that is how hormone levels influence weight gain in the body. Growth hormone helps stimulate testosterone production. So, if GH levels are low, testosterone may also decline. Testosterone plays a role in metabolic activities, as well.
Now, as abdominal fat increases, it revs up the production of the enzyme aromatase. It is this enzyme that converts free testosterone in the bloodstream to estradiol. Although the aromatase conversion of testosterone into this estrogen is vital for the body, too much throws off the testosterone/estrogen ratio. Since estrogen signals the body to store fat, and with lower testosterone and growth hormone levels, weight gain is likely.
Growth hormone is also the stimulator of insulin growth factor 1 (IGF-1) release from the liver. This is a crucial factor as low IGF-1 levels force more glucose into the cells from insulin signals. The body ignores the critical triglycerides that bring the burning of stored fat.
Other benefits of HGH injections for weight loss include:
- Growth hormone stimulates protein synthesis in muscles so that they take in and use glucose and triglyceride molecules for energy.
- Improving insulin sensitivity in the cells so that they take up the glucose in the bloodstream. Adults with GHD tend to have insulin resistance, causing the liver to store excess glucose as glycogen, increasing weight gain.
- Growth hormone also helps promote carbohydrate metabolism and lipolysis – functions crucial to weight management. GH actions on the enzymes regulate lipolysis and lipogenesis help maintain weight.
- By ensuring that insulin works properly, HGH also helps force the body into burning triglycerides for energy (triglyceride breakdown), enhancing glucose synthesis in the liver.
- HGH also helps improve cardiac output and exercise capacity, improving the ability to engage in physical activity.
Do Doctors Prescribe HGH for Weight Loss?
Doctors do not prescribe HGH injections for weight loss. Human growth hormone therapy is not a diet. Only individuals who are growth hormone deficient should use HGH injections.
The prescribing of an HGH shot for weight loss in an adult with normal growth hormone levels would not bring about the desired results. Instead, the individual would be likely to gain weight through fluid retention in the body. Other health issues and side effects may also occur.
The way that HGH injections for weight loss work are that they target the many areas that growth hormone regulates. In addition to metabolism, HGH benefits cell reproduction, immunity, sexual desire and performance, brain functions, and heart health. Fat burning is only one of the many benefits of HGH for adults with GHD.
How Long Does It Take to Lose Weight on HGH?
Again, because HGH is not a diet, we cannot tell you that you will lose weight quickly. You most likely will not. Most people do not experience any changes in their weight during the first month of treatment. There is no such thing as HGH weight loss injections causing the body to drop 20 pounds in 20 days.
What does happen is deep inside the body at the cellular level. HGH begins to improve testosterone and IGF-1 production – two hormones that aid HGH in supporting optimum metabolic functions.
By the end of two months of treatment, many people start to notice a slight decrease in abdominal fat. At the same time, lean muscle mass improves. With each passing month, these benefits increase. It is important to note that while you are losing fat, you will be gaining lean muscle. Although your body composition will transform considerably, the numbers on the scale may not be as noticeable.
Do not expect immediate HGH injections for weight loss results.
How Can I Improve My Weight Loss with HGH Injections?
When using HGH therapy for weight loss goals, you can help improve all your results by engaging in healthy lifestyle habits. The more you do to help your body, the faster you will see results in all areas. Not only will you promote faster fat-burning potential, but you will also start to think more clearly, feel healthier, and look better.
Here are some steps you can take to improve your HGH results:
- Exercise a few times a week, but do not overdo it. Resistance exercises and high-intensity interval training are the best options.
- Get more sleep – aiming for seven to nine hours every night. Sleep is when the body produces and utilizes growth hormone and testosterone. That is why you weigh less in the morning. Help your body burn more fat by getting enough sleep.
- Reduce stress to lower the amount of cortisol in your bloodstream. Cortisol stimulates the release of ghrelin, the hunger hormone. When you are tired, cortisol will send ghrelin into the body to cause you to eat for more energy. More food intake means more weight gain.
- Finally, lose weight. Carrying around excess weight lowers GH and testosterone levels.
For more information about how to get the best HGH injections for weight loss and the reversal of other GHD symptoms, please contact Greenberg Health. Our hormone clinic is here to help you achieve hormonal balance, beginning with a free consultation by phone.